We continue to receive a great number of reports of people suffering health effects when ‘smart’ meters are installed. It seems that women are being impacted far more frequently than men, consistent with existing research on electro-sensitivity. Here are firsthand reports from two women living in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you or someone you know is suffering health damage from ‘smart’ meters or other wireless devices, try following the advice on our FAQ page.
Santa Clara County:
“One day last December (2010) 8 months after the SM deployment and 2 months after they supposedly turned it on (I believe after getting a lot of different answers from PG&E and the increased intensity of my symptoms, that they in fact turned it UP or made us a relay house), I was trying to just be normal and get ready for the holidays. I needed a break from this encroaching health war. I got up to begin decorating our tree. Something we have greatly enjoyed every year in our gorgeous craftsman style home that we put so much love and work into over the years. As I drank my half a cup of coffee from one of our pretty Christmas mugs in the kitchen, I began to get the usual shakiness and weakness in my legs that I now know are classic symptoms of EHS and that I had had for many months. “Here we go”, I said to myself as I soon became so lightheaded and dizzy I almost dropped the coffee cup. Not wanting to give in so early in the day, I went into the living room to put an ornament on the tree. As I came back through the kitchen, I broke into hives on my face and neck and my lips burned. I quickly called out to my husband to look so he could see the effects in action. “Wow” he said ” That’s amazing.” Amazing and life shattering.
I had come to the sad realization that the place that used to my favorite part of our house – our lovely kitchen with its countertops littered with cook books and vases of fresh flowers from our garden; where I whipped up many creative meals for my husband and our friends (some great, some not so); the place in which we prepared and sat to numerous holiday meals with family visiting from far away; our kitchen, the center of our home just as the kitchen was for my family while growing up, my refuge, our gathering place; the spot where my husband and I would reconnect each morning over a home made breakfast and each evening over a glass wine, sharing our days, stresses, ideas, dreams was no more. It had become the most uncomfortable, unhealthy and dangerous part of the house for me.
With great sadness, I walked into the backyard to escape while Bing Crosby sang “Sleigh Bells” in the other room.
Our meter is less than 3 feet from our kitchen table and 4 from our kitchen sink. Our neighbors is 9 feet. When I stand in the kitchen, at the counter, or in the dining room, I get hit with all 3.”
Santa Cruz County
“This is the weirdest energy I have ever felt and each day now, since a neighbor 2 doors down (who did not keep his poster posted) got a (‘smart’) meter installed, as well as 2 others, I have pulsing energy very strong right where my bed is. I am just devastated that this has happened. It is sick. I have felt sick many days and awake each day feeling nauseated. I have been sleeping downstairs in my bathroom with my head in the far corner where there is the least EMF.
I cannot tell you how SERIOUS this issue is. The cellphones and wifi are bad enough but I can elect not to have them. This EMF and neighboring EMF from wifi is seriously affecting me. I have 6 wifi signals in my home. That is how I became so sensitive to the EMF as my neighbor put a wifi unit on the other side of where I have my headboard. She never mentioned it and finally a friend with an analyzer came over and we picked it up. I talked with my neighbor and she agreed to turn it off. She told me first that I should move- suggesting that I am just behind the times. If our technology mad society means I have to continue to feel like this, I want no part of it.”
Thousands of health-related complaints have been lodged with the CA Public Utilities Commission, some of which can be read at the EMF Safety Network site.