Stop Smart Meters! Bulletin
Vol. 16 November 2013
PO Box 682 Portola, CA 96122
**Please Note New Postal Address**
QUOTE OF THE MONTH
“Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul”
1. AAEM Calls for Moratorium on Smart Meters; New Research ‘Clearly Demonstrates Adverse Health Effects’
2. ‘Fireworks’ as RF Debate Erupts at Take Back Your Power Screening in Dublin, CA
3. Holiday Gifts that Raise Awareness and Benefit Stop Smart Meters!
4. What is that “Smartphone” Really Costing You and Your Family?
5. Support Stop Smart Meters! Make an End of Year Donation Today
1. AAEM CALLS FOR MORATORIUM ON ‘SMART’ METERS; NEW RESEARCH ‘CLEARLY DEMONSTRATES ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS’ The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has adopted a position statement calling for a moratorium on any further installations of ‘smart’ meters, after reviewing compelling research showing a clear pattern of health problems following deployment in the Australian state of Victoria.
The research- by Dr. Federica Lamech, MBBS, Self-Reporting of Symptom Development from Exposure to Wireless Smart Meters’ Radiofrequency Fields in Victoria, is in the process of being published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, and is not public yet. However, Stop Smart Meters! has had a chance to review it in advance, and this is indeed groundbreaking research. We agree with the AAEM that the study is scientifically valid. Its findings are also consistent with the thousands of cases reported to us over the last three and a half years.
Many utility commissions and industry representatives claim that there has been no research connecting smart meters to adverse health impacts. This study- when it is released- appears to provide just that, further undermining the smart grid industry’s shaky claims of safety.
You can download the AAEM’s letter in pdf format by clicking here, and the text of the statement is also on our website in full- see: https://stopsmartmeters.org/2013/11/11/american-academy-of-environmental-medicine-calls-for-moratorium-on-smart-meters-new-research-clearly-demonstrates-adverse-health-effects/
2. ‘FIREWORKS’ AS RF DEBATE ERUPTS AFTER TBYP SCREENING IN DUBLIN, CA Josh Hart writes about his recent experience screening the film Take Back Your Power: “Back in the Dublin IBEW meeting room, after the credits rolled and people blinked as the fluorescent lights were switched on, you could almost see the walls of stubborn, fixed belief in the “official” scientific regime beginning to crumble. People’s cognitive dissonance in full defense mode. A lifetime of thinking in a certain way and sudden flecks of doubt. They wanted to leave and get away but at the same time could not. The genie could not be stuffed back in the bottle no matter how hard they might try. I’ve never seen faces turn so red.”
Full article: https://stopsmartmeters.org/2013/11/27/fireworks-at-take-back-your-power-screening-in-dublin-ca-heated-rf-debate-erupts-at-movie-night/
3. SSM! STORE NOW OPEN FOR HOLIDAY SHOPPING; TAKE BACK YOUR POWER DVD’S, STICKERS, RF METERS NOW AVAILABLE While hordes of Black Friday shoppers buy unsafe wireless gadgets for their kids, and telecom companies sue well-meaning local governments who try to attach labels to warn people they are risking brain cancer and other health problems, there is a better way! Our online store is up and running with outreach materials and (good) tech gifts for the holidays. We have wireless and smart meter warning stickers, DVD’s of the film Take Back Your Power, RF meters and more! Free shipping in the US. See https://stopsmartmeters.org/stop-smart-meters-online-store/ For more ideas of (good) tech gifts for the holidays, including a word processor that emits virtually no EMF’s, see: https://stopsmartmeters.org/2012/12/12/good-tech-gifts-for-the-holidays/
4. WHAT IS THAT ‘SMART’ PHONE REALLY COSTING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY? Meters aren’t the only “smart” things to be introduced in the last several years that are harming the health of our communities. Addiction to ‘smart’ phones is a growing problem- not only because of cancer risk and overall health problems related to microwave radiation, but also from the subtle yet pervasive alienation that results from mass ‘smart’ phone use in public spaces- a subject that- as this recent excellent article on Alternet points out- is rarely discussed.
On our website is a compilation by safe technology advocate Amy O’Hair (author of the Primer on FCC Guidelines) of what ‘smart’ phone addiction really costs us- both individually and as communities. Read full post: https://stopsmartmeters.org/2013/11/13/what-is-that-smartphone-really-costing-you-and-your-family/
5. SUPPORT SSM! GIVE AN END-OF-YEAR GIFT TO STOP SMART METERS! We have achieved a tremendous amount this year- publishing an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal in April, speaking at events in Ireland and the UK in June, raising $11,000 to distribute the Take Back Your Power film to communities across the US, and responding to hundreds of media inquiries. We also have provided technical assistance and strategic planning to dozens of anti-smart meter groups around the world. We have been able to work full time on this issue since mid- 2010, thanks to your generous donations. If you support what we do, please make a holiday gift to Stop Smart Meters! today. See: https://stopsmartmeters.org/donate or make checks payable to: Stop Smart Meters! PO Box 682 Portola, CA 96122
STOP SMART METERS! ON TWITTER! NOT FACEBOOK For the latest campaign updates and links to breaking news stories, follow us on Twitter! We are “stopsmeters” Please retweet and encourage your friends to follow us!! Our latest tweets also appear on the upper right hand side of our website. We are not on Facebook. See: https://twitter.com/stopsmeters
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
-Martin Luther King Jr.
To be removed from or add yourself to this monthly bulletin, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org