QUOTE OF THE MONTH
“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”
Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929 – 1968)
1. Take Back Your Power Release Sept. 5: Be an Affiliate!
2. Deadline Sept. 3: Tell FCC their RF safety levels aren’t safe!
3. Southern CA ‘Opt Out’ Under Attack- Take Action!
4. Smart Meter Fire Death in California: Tragic Details Emerge
5. New Health Policy Paper: “No Substitute for Roll Back”
6. Volunteer or Donate! Support Stop Smart Meters!
1. TAKE BACK YOUR POWER FILM RELEASE SEPT. 5
The much anticipated documentary from Canadian filmmaker Josh del Sol will debut online and on DVD in less than a week! The buzz is palpable, with a featured story in USA Today making the industry nervous (and awkwardlysilent). This is a huge, key opportunity to get the anti-smart grid message out to the mainstream. Can we rely on mainstream media distribution channels to get the word out? Of course not. Thus the filmmakers have decided to use a grassroots, decentralized method to distribute the film, through Yekra. Here’s how you can be a part of this historic release:
6. BREAKING: advance clip from the film showing forced installations and overcharging:
7. And most important of all: Take Back Your Power from the utility and telecommunications industries! Refuse smart meters!
2. TELL FCC THEIR RF SAFETY GUIDELINES AREN’T SAFE! DEADLINE 9/3!
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is considering changes to the exposure policy for radiofrequency (RF) radiation in the United States. The agency has requested comments be submitted by September 3, 2013. It is possible that they may raise these already sky high limits, to suit industry’s greed. That is why it is so crucial to take action, even if you have recently commented to the FCC. More info and links to take action here (do it now!):
3. SOUTHERN CA ‘OPT OUT’ UNDER ATTACK- TAKE ACTION!
SCE and SDG&E have filed extremely confusing and misleading ‘advice letters’ for approval at the Sept. 5th San Francisco CPUC Meeting, regarding their smart meter ‘opt out’ program. See here and here. Intentionally confusing customers with no less than sixteen different names for different meters, it is not at all clear even what they are trying to say. These advice letters would apparently sidestep the existing opt out proceeding and authorize refusal of analog meters to customers requesting an opt out and set in stone extortionate fees for having a “radio off” smart meter. Peevey and his pals at SCE appear to be trying to weasel out of an opt out for millions of So Cal Residents. Time to reign them in. If you live in CA, and have had enough of this underhanded Bulls*** from the CPUC, contact your state legislator and demand they introduce legislation providing at the least a no cost analog opt out for every CA resident, and investigations leading to a possible safety recall of this equipment. Find your state legislator here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html
4. SM FIRE DEATH IN CA: TRAGIC DETAILS EMERGE
Details have come to light of a man killed by a Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) Smart Meter that caught fire in Vacaville, CA on July 9th, 2010. Larry Nikkel of 230 Arbor St. died from a suspicious electrical fire that consumed his home the day after Wellington Energy, contractors for PG&E, installed a Landis & Gyr “smart” electric meter. A wrongful death suit lawsuit filed by the family against the utility, subcontractor, and meter manufacturer has now been settled for an undisclosed sum.The circumstances surrounding Mr. Nikkel’s death add a grave and tragic chapter to the growing human cost of the ‘smart grid.’ Full article: https://stopsmartmeters.org/2013/06/21/when-smart-meters-kill-the-story-of-larry-nikkel-details-emerge-of-vacaville-ca-smart-meter-fire-death/
5. DR. RONALD POWELL: “NO SUBSTITUTE FOR ROLLBACK”
Dr. Ronald M Powell, PhD in applied physics from Harvard has written: Biological Effects from RF Radiation at Low-Intensity Exposure, based on the BioInitiative 2012 Report, and the Implications for Smart Meters and Smart Appliances
This is an important document to read and to bring to policy makers.
Dr. Powell’s Biological Effects Chart was produced from a review of the medical research literature on the biological effects of electromagnetic fields (BioInitiative.org). He concludes the following five points:
1. The current FCC Maximum Permitted Exposure (MPE) limits are so high that they provide no protection for the public from the biological effects found in any of the 67 studies.
2. New biologically based RF exposure limits proposed in the BioInitiative 2012 Report are 1 million times lower than current FCC limits and would protect against the biological effects found in nearly all of the 67 studies.
3. A single Smart Meter on a home can produce RF exposure levels that caused the biological effects found in either most or many of the 67 studies, depending on the distance from the Smart Meter.
4. A single Smart Appliance in the home can produce RF exposure levels that caused the biological effects found in nearly half or fewer of the 67 studies, depending on the distance from the Smart Appliance. Multiple Smart Appliances in a home multiply the total exposure.
5. A single Smart Meter on a nearest neighbor’s home can produce RF exposure levels that caused the biological effects found in many of the 67 studies. A given home may have one to eight nearest neighbors, each with a Smart Meter, multiplying the total exposure in the given home.
“Smart Meters are a community concern, not just an individual concern.”-Ronald Powell, PhD Applied Physics
The section on neighbors meters, and how smart meters are a community concern is especially relevant as policy makers decide how to proceed with solutions. Here’s an excerpt of his paper:
“A Single Smart Meter on a Neighbor’s Home Can Produce RF Power Density Levels Shown to Cause Biological Effects
For some locations in a given home, the distance to a neighbor’s Smart Meter may be less than the distance to the resident’s own Smart Meter. Thus, a neighbor’s Smart Meter may be the principal source of radiation for some locations in the given home. The Biological Effects Chart shows that a single Smart Meter can produce RF power densities found to cause biological effects even at distances greater than 20 meters, and certainly up to 100 meters. And the number of neighbors within that range can be large.
There is no substitute for a roll back of all Smart Meters at the community level, or higher.”
(excerpted from: http://emfsafetynetwork.org/?p=10954)
6. VOLUNTEER OR DONATE! –SUPPORT SSM!
If you have some time to spare and a special talent you want to use to help spread awareness about this issue, please contact us at email@example.com. If you are able to contribute to our costs with a donation, we sincerely appreciate it! A little goes a long way! See: https://stopsmartmeters.org/donate
STOP SMART METERS! ON TWITTER! NOT FACEBOOK
For the latest campaign updates and links to breaking news stories, follow us on Twitter! We are “stopsmeters” Please retweet and encourage your friends to follow us!! Our latest tweets also appear on the upper right hand side of our website. We are not on Facebook. See: https://twitter.com/stopsmeters
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
-Martin Luther King Jr.