Dirty Electricity from ‘Smart’ Meters: Answers from the Experts

Picture 1Picture 2

Last week, after we solicited opinions from readers on the following question:

Others were wondering how the switch mode power supplies (SMPS- that convert AC to DC within the meters) could cause so much more dirty electricity than those contained in other electronics.

We received the following, intriguing answer from Hugh Hinskens, a Canadian  Electronics Engineering Technologist with a B.Sc. in physics and a background in microwave circuit engineering.  According to experts, the switch mode power supply (SMPS) contained in millions of ‘smart’ meters (but not their analog predecessors) has essentially ‘polluted’ the electricity coming into our homes with high frequency transients.  Which means at the end of the day, there is no “opt out” when the “smart grid” is being deployed in your area.  Even with no RF microwave wireless antennas, a “smart” grid of SMPS-equipped meters can still threaten your health.

“Why more so than other electronic devices?”, we asked…

Hugh:

It’s not that each individual power supply is more powerful, but rather because every smart meter is of exactly the same design and construction, each SMPS is emitting the same spectrum of harmonics, which are all in phase with the 60 Hz of the power grid and therefore in phase with each other. For consumer electronics, including desk top computers, which have SMPS’s that are higher power, the variety of manufacturers, designs and components in their construction prevents the constructive interference (due to phase coherence) of identical harmonics which manifests with the identical smart meters.

Also, consumer electronics are plugged into a single branch of a house’s wiring system, so the distance to other branches is longer, allowing more dissipation of the energy from the single branch before it reaches the other branches in the same house, or back into the main grid. The meter is at the root of the branches in the house, so each branch acts like a separate antenna for the harmonics, causing a more well distributed field throughout the house. And because the meter is right where the grid is connected to the house, it’s closer to its peers on other houses, allowing a shorter path for the coherent pulses to combine with other meters’ pulses.

TacomaNarrowsBridgeCollapse_in_color

Didn’t anyone even test this thing? Harmonics matter…. Smart Grid FAIL!

The total energy of the harmonics from the consumer electronics is likely higher, but an analogy would be that their emitted harmonics are like a dim light bulb that’s on virtually all the time with frequencies spread out more homogeneously, while the smart meter harmonics go from low energy to high peaks at particular discrete frequencies like a bright strobe light. I would think that this coherent pulsing is the cause of the greater negative effects attributed to smart meters. The wiring of every house in a neighborhood is an antenna system transmitting these pulses throughout the neighborhood. The Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster is an example of constructive interference in a harmonic system of mechanical energy resulting in a combined energy that caused total destruction, a possibility which escaped the engineers because they only analyzed individual harmonics occurring in isolation. The harmonic emissions of smart meters were not likely analyzed in a real world scenario with thousands operating at once.

There is another possibility that smart meters just happen to produce a harmonic spectrum that is particularly aggravating to the human nervous system because the frequencies exhibit a particular resonance with it. It’s an extremely complicated topic, because humans are extremely complicated “devices” and radio frequency emission is a complicated topic in itself. Trying to predict the interaction of the two is only more difficult. Without extensive testing, the above is all an educated guess. Field strengths from radio frequency emissions get more difficult to predict as the variables of antenna geometry, number of antennas, transmitters, and reflective surfaces increase.

Hugh is on the board of Stop Smart Meters! Canada

Want to learn more about ‘dirty electricity’ and ‘smart’ meters?  Listen to today’s fantastic KPFA interview with Dave Stetzer.

This entry was posted in Canada, Dirty Electricity, interference, Smart Grid. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Dirty Electricity from ‘Smart’ Meters: Answers from the Experts

1. Question From Michigan says:

So is there a way to filter the noise/harmonics from the SMPS? Is there a device a homeowner can buy in order to do that? While I wait for an analog meter option in Michigan, I would like to stop the noise in my home. Turning off the antenna via our state’s opt-out program did seem to help, but we are still experiencing lots of constant noise in our home that interrupts sleep, causes headaches, makes us irritable, and is generally irritating. I want to be free from that. I want to be able to hear the birds sing outside my house again without this constant ringing noise blocking them out.

• Paul H says:

I have had excellent results with Stetzerizer filters in conjunction with an electromechanical meter. There has not been one complaint from all the people I have helped so far.

Make sure to get the meter to measure as sometimes it takes just a handful of filters to clean up a home. When placing them in the bedroom one should always place the filter the farthest from the bed.

• Mia Nony says:

Whole house filters installed between the meter and the panel are supposedly designed to even out the pulses and spikes of smart grid sine waves and may or may not be worth researching …but that is not to say that this is any kind of tacit endorsement for military grade whole house/structure suppressors.
      Thing is that wireless can still couple to home wiring circuits located past the filter or suppressor.
      That said, it is not the worst idea to look to the military for both the origin of the weaponized frequency problem and their attempt at amelioration or mitigation of the pervasive problem of domestic deployment of military grade frequencies, a scenario which they themselves have created and protect via the IEEE.

• Question from Michigan says:

Mia, do you have any references for such devices? There is a power transformer on a utility pole near my house (and an ATT black box just under the transformer). Our neighborhood has a smart meter mesh grid of signals. We have turned off the radio transmitter for our meter, but our neighbor’s meter faces our house. My power and phone lines, and my neighbor’s power and phone lines, extend above my concrete driveway. This is essentially a canyon in which I think the signals bounce around and so I am doubtful that filters will help. Any ideas?

• Mia Nony says:

Consider what the function is of an industry or military grade whole house suppressor (like, for instance, one able to handle frequency suppression generated heat, such as a sine tamer, just for one example). Consider might be capable of doing to reverse what is going on here.
          Hugh has nailed it. Under a pervasive microwave blanket, there is no opt out since to resist one node is not at all the same as to be safe. What hold outs are actually resisting is the worst effects of one SMPS on their own home. Zigbee chips all around your property can still read your own chipped appliances, meter or not.
          When each household holds out against one single grid node, they still remain exposed to the impact of compound frequencies & transients passing back & forth between all grid nodes. Everyone is being forced to slip into siege mode & bunker thinking while unelected corporations govern lives & are illegally creating total harmonic distortion of the entire ecosystem.
          Not for nothing is the aim to blanket every square inch of the planet, with an end to signal drop everywhere. Obama promotes “free wifi” & expansion of the Outernet. The trick is to not get caught up in navel gazing at only your own piece of the harmonics puzzle & go for an overview of the entire NM&CE or network management & communications equipment devices system.
          Electricity wise, even prior to the military style deployment of the spy grid communications system, which is supplanting & replacing the energy distribution system right under our noses, many homes are already incorrectly wired, or grounded to water pipes, or not grounded at all, or installed by electricians who did not correctly twist wires to cancel wiring fields. Additionally, systems in almost all homes used plastic coated Romex wiring, which, unlike BX wiring, offers no corrosion protection or insulation at all.
          Even prior to the grid the majority of transients already originated inside the home. These days, who knows the %? Throw in the griddle & your home & neighbourhood are under full assault, complete with invisible infrared red lights flashing from some but not all of these so called meters, detectable only by special night vision military goggles.
          Is it any wonder that people’s eyes, ears, noses are bleeding, pacemakers are failing, hearts are in arrhythmia? Or that the unshielded wiring & metal in their homes is arcing & corroding? Or that firewalls separations are compromised because everything is depolarized billions of times a seconds at strobe light speed? Or that the rivets holding brand new condo balcony glass sheets in place are so rapidly fast corroded that the glass sheets are no longer held in place & are crashing down into the streets below?
          Can anyone chime in & explain why not have a high end transient suppressor installed in every home? Why wouldn’t the immediate, legal, yet potentially revolutionary response be to use an industrial strength suppressor able to handle heat that is generated when microwave harmonic distortions are suppressed?
          Why not stop demonizing these vulnerable electronics?
          Why not smooth out the sine wave by redefining what resistance is?
          Why not cut off corporate profit at the knees?
          Why not make things truly subversive by encouraging everyone all around you to consider doing the same thing, even just for privacy reasons, even if they are not feeling sick?
          After all, industry uses military grade suppressors to save money. Why not do it to protect lives?
          Aren’t grid generated transients the real money maker here? Maybe I missed a step?
          Maybe this is incorrect, so feel free to step in here but …..Isn’t this a different method of energy delivery? And aren’t the microwaves themselves indispensable to the utility to facilitate privacy & health invasion, not to mention bill gouging? Aren’t the pulses themselves absolutely necessary for turning transients into profit? for conducting data mining? maybe even for frequency graphing & profiling? Anyone want to add to this line of reasoning?

• Vishus says:

You ask “why not have a high end transient suppressor installed in every home?” and, “Why wouldn’t the immediate, legal, yet potentially revolutionary response be to use an industrial strength suppressor able to handle heat that is generated when microwave harmonic distortions are suppressed? I agree.. where Can I get one? Is one expensive?

• Lori says:

Yes, I have recently purchased the whole house filter and it significantly reduced the annoying thumping sound.

2. Hi Michigan!

Yes, there is a way! It is effective and has a 60-Day Feel Better or Money Back return policy. I use it all the time in my EMF abatement service here in Sacramento.

You will need this even after your own Smart Meter is removed because the SMPSs in all of the neighbors Smart Meters will still send pulsed 50 Khz frequencies of Dirty Electricity into all of the wiring in your house causing pain and discomfort. Here is a video I made about how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LotupK7lQBs

You need to measure the Dirty Electricity (DE) with a Stetzer Meter at each outlet in the house and apply plug-in Stetzer Filters at the hot spots as needed to bring the readings below 50 GS units.

Contact Shaun at http://www.stetzerizer-us.com/A1. He is very skilled and knowledgable. He has helped thousands of people regain peace and serenity in their house by cleaning up the DE on the wiring. You will feel it.

Look me up on Google if you have more questions but contact Shaun first please.

Sincerely,

Eric Windheim
    Director, Sacramento Smart Meter Awareness
    Owner, Windheim EMF Solutions

3. Mia Nony says:

So much wisdom …only then to be reduced ing the final paragraph to becoming akin to a plug for glorified shunt capacitors with questionable safety which do not address the smart grid spectrum and for which there are many reports of exacerbation of suffering.
    Stetzer Units are not in the table of weights and Measures and never will be.

• Toni says:

Mia Nony you are so wise! Thank you so for giving us the big picture. I want to know more about the high grade suppressors to which you refer.

Stetzer Filters (glorified shunt capacitors) have done nothing to help me with the problems caused by smart meters. I had installed these and kept telling myself that they had to be helping because people claimed that they help, but I knew that they were not helping. Finally, I turned on a Trifield meter one day when plugging in a Stetzer and found that the magnetic field went from
      .1 mG to 6 mG not only in that room but in two other rooms below it. To make a long story short, my house had wiring errors like most houses in America because electricians often wire incorrectly and do not check their work with a gauss meter.

4. Question From Michigan says:

Well, I’m certainly not jumping into spending more money to try to fix a problem that seems to be quite complex. We took some measurements in our home this past week with a gauss meter and a radio frequency meter. The gauss meter shows a magnetic field travelling in our copper water pipes, and in the vicinity of the gas meter in the basement (metal piping) a magnetic field appears to transfer to a nearby copper pipe. The radio frequencies in our house are not as high as the frequencies outside. It seems to me that in older homes like mine, the problem of reducing a magnetic field traveling into the house via a power line is difficult if not impossible to fix. There are probably wiring and grounding errors (for example, we found an old grounding wire that disappears under some duct work, carrying an elevated magnetic field…from where to where?).

5. You people are NOT waking up. The entire electrical grid is a biological hazard and needs to be torn down. It’s an engineering mistake. Grow up. Get rid of it before you collapse the entire ecosystem. There’s plenty of evidence we’re destroying the planet. We don’t need to light up cities like Christmas trees. Hello?
    The entire wireless grid is also a biological hazard, and is NOT NEEDED. Cancer from wireless is not a joke. Pulsed digital communications is an engineering mistake in terms of it’s effects on biological cells. Read the 2012 BioInitiative Report. The truth is obvious.
    The entire plan for large centralized AC power grids is 100% monopolistic, hazardous, grossly inefficienet, and plain stupid. Get a grip. The power grid needs to be scrapped. Low power DC (direct current) grids should be supplied and controlled at local and municipal levels. This removes the monopoly interests, solves the dirty electricity problem, and provides a cost efficient source of power to individuals.

• Jessica says:

Paul, I’ve read many of your comments on various sites related to EMFs. I have a couple of specific questions and you seem like the best person to answer them. Could you contact me at bobbinna@aol.com? I can’t find a way to contact you privately.

Thanks so much, Jessica

6. Lori says:

How do I get rid of the thumping noise the meter makes?

7. Question from Michigan says:

@Paul Vonharnish,
    I agree with you that there are serious problems. Maybe it’s futile to try to correct a problem within a single home. I like to believe it will help to improve the environment of my own home, and if I can do that successfully, I will share the information with others.
    For now, I try to focus on two things.
    (1) There are some exposures I can control, and I can always improve in doing that (health-behaviors such as exercise–which for me means taking a daily walk in a local park).
    (2) Many people are waking up to the problems with electromagnetic field impacts on health, hence this website and hundreds of others.

8. Certainly seeing some strong opinions for and against the introduction of these smart meters.

9. Pingback: Students prove real-life Star Wars deflector shield is possible – ExtremeTech | EMF Survival Guide

10. Pete says:

I can hear this meter-from sounds like birds chirping to low/high bacon frying. I had a 1st meter that drove me out of my Home. The 2nd SM makes it very hard for me to go to sleep & when I wake, I feel exhausted, brain dead to like a massive hang over
    Metal shielding that is grounded does no good. With the courts so dirty don’t expect any help from any of the Hoardes of Agencies-I sent emails of the Extech 480823 readings to 197 Gauss, Nodak Electric refuses to answer & Walsh Co sheriff wild threatened me with arrest. Read the Georgia Stones saying to cull 90% of the population, they will turh off electricity to the masses thru the winter-or there maybe an EMP used. Call me a tin foil hatter but social security is broke, the world is refusing the worthless fiat FRN-so the entire system is aboot to collapse