SmartMeters are really StupidMeters. Why? Because they overcharge you, broadcast your personal info and detailed energy use habits, emit electromagnetic radiation that can cause cancer, damage your DNA, and harm wildlife, catch fire, and disable your shock prevention devices. Need any more reasons? Go to our Why Stop Smart Meters page. New to this issue and have questions? Check our FAQ page.
Now, what can YOU do to stop them?
1. Are you a PG&E Customer? Sign the NO-FEES PETITION here: http://signon.org/sign/pge-smart-meter-fees
2. REFUSE SMART METERS (on your home or business).
If you still have an analog meter:
• Do not allow installers on your property. Call police if they trespass. Form a neighborhood watch.
• Send a certified letter to your utility refusing consent to install
• Secure analog meters behind lock and key
• You can agree to the ‘opt out’ fee program, or like many of us, you can refuse. As of December 2012, no one in CA has been disconnected for refusing to pay ‘opt out’ fees. (Utilities are required to first send you a 15 day disconnect notice)
If you have a “smart” meter:
• Keep your distance (pets and plants too!) Find out about shielding methods.
• Revoke consent via certified letter to the utility and set a deadline for removal of existing smart meter.
• Insist that the replacement meter(s) are purely electromechanical analogs. Ask them to confirm it in writing.
• You can either formally ‘opt out’ and pay the unjust fees (interim fees are $75 to start and $10/month or $10/ $5 for CARE/ FERA customers) or refuse to pay.
California Utility Contact Numbers:
• Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E): 1-866 743 0263
• Southern California Edison (SCE): 1-800-810-2369.
• San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E): 1-800-411-7343
• Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD): 1-888-742-7683
• San Francisco PUC Water Meter Opt Out at: 415-554-3204
(For info on areas outside of California click here.)
3. DEFEND your analog meter! Unfortunately utility companies cannot be trusted to respect your wishes so we also strongly recommend locking up your analog meter. There are examples of how to do this. In addition, staying at home, or having someone appointed by you to do this during the installation period (typically 2-3 weeks), is an assurance against trespassing. Property owners and renters can ask anyone at any time to leave their property, for any reason.
4. WRITE the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), 505 Van Ness Ave. San Francisco, CA 94102, or call them at 866-849-8390. Outside of CA, check for what governmental body regulates your utilities. Visit this webpage to file a complaint: https://ia.cpuc.ca.gov/cimsapp/?key=39949189
Tell them that you oppose the installation of smart meters on your home or business because of health, safety, and privacy concerns, and insist that they enforce the “opt-out” option for individuals, cities, and counties. If you have a smart meter and have been suffering health impacts, go to your doctor and get written documentation, submit a complaint the to CPUC at the above webpage and submit a complaint to SmartMeterHelp.com. You can also tell your story on EMF Safety Network.
5. Send this letter to your water/ gas/ electric utility by certified mail today.
6. POST a “Smart” Meter Free Zone sign on both your electric and your gas meter, and throughout your neighborhood on utility poles and in front yards etc. Click here to download pdf and then print it out: StopSmartMetersSign
7. WARN your neighbors that smart meters are coming and pass out leaflets and “Smart Meter Free Zone” signs. You can download leaflets in pdf format that include CA info here: StopSmartMetersFlyerColor or the Black and White Version. Spanish flyer (en espanol) here. Here is a page to help you create your own flyer.
If the utility company or their agents come around to install, ask them to leave and if they don’t comply call the police and report a trespasser. You have the right to get anyone (apart from a cop with a warrant) off your property (regardless of whether you rent or own). You have a right to a radiation-free home!
9. SIT IN. Start a blockade protest at your local meter installation yard or utility commission. In Santa Cruz County, protests were successful at stopping county-wide installation for about a year. What’s worse–an hour in a jail cell or a lifetime of forced radiation in your home and community? Direct action gets the goods.
10. VOLUNTEER with Stop Smart Meters! Contact us at info[at]stopsmartmeters[dot]org if you want to volunteer or get more involved. This is a grassroots effort, and we could use all the help we can get to carry on fighting for your health and safety.
11. DONATE to our ongoing campaign Donations of any amount are gratefully accepted and will contribute to our work to put a halt to the ‘smart’ meter program. Please help keep us going with even a small donation today! See our Donate Page.
12. REDUCE your EMF exposure by changing or eliminating your cell phone usage, and curtailing the use of cordless phones, wifi, microwave ovens, baby monitors, compact fluorescent lightbulbs etc. If you already have a ‘smart’ meter you have the right to have it removed. You can also shop for EMF Meters and Shielding at LessEMF.com
13. DEMAND that your city/ county pass an ordinance banning ‘smart’ meters More than 57 local governments throughout California have demanded a halt to smart meter installation, and more are considering taking action. The full, current list is provided here. Inform your local government about the rights it has over the utility- the following was sent to us by former seven-time Mayor of Fairfax CA Frank Egger: