QUOTE OF THE MONTH
“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them, and these will continue till they have been resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.”
-FREDERICK DOUGLASS (1818-1895), American social reformer, orator, writer, autobiographer (3 books), statesman, ex-slave, leader of the abolitionist movement, Women’s suffrage supporter
Plan to attend key upcoming hearings! San Francisco: Thurs. Feb. 28/ Sacramento Feb. 21
Write a letter to the editor! Invite a Friend or 5! Endurance!! Do Not “Quietly Submit”!!
1) PG&E Spy Scandal Widens to include Officers, CPUC Director
2) SMUD Hearing this Thursday 2/21
3) CPUC Meeting Next Thursday 2/28
4) Smart Mtr Protesters Confront Al Gore
5) Naperville Police Force Smart Meters on Homes; Arrest Moms
1) PG&E OFFICERS KIRALY AND BURT, CPUC PLANNING & POLICY DIVISION HEAD MARZIA ZAFAR IMPLICATED IN SMART METER SPY SCANDAL
SAN FRANCISCO- Documents filed last week at the California Public Utilities Commission indicate that the spy scandal that forced the resignation of William Devereaux, ex- Senior Director of Pacific Gas and Electric’s SmartMeter program in November 2010, has now widened to include at least 2 officers in the company, Chief Customer Officer Helen Burt and Greg Kiraly, Senior Vice President of Electric Distribution and several other employees, as well as the Head of Policy and Planning at the CPUC, Marzia Zafar. Full story: https://stopsmartmeters.org/2013/02/18/pge-officers-kiraly-and-burt-cpuc-planning-policy-division-head-marzia-zafar-implicated-in-smart-meter-spy-scandal/
The Chronicle’s telling: http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/SmartMeter-foes-don-t-want-spy-probe-closed-4286585.php
2) STOP SMART METERS! SACRAMENTO CHALLENGES SMUG SMUD- SMUD HEARING THIS THURSDAY FEB. 21ST
SACRAMENTO, CA– Resistance to smart meter deployments can vary tremendously, depending on local circumstances. Sometimes a local population is informed, organized and resistant to a smart meter deployment before the men in uniforms and white trucks arrive like some old episode from the Twilight Zone, barging into people’s backyards and installing devices that make people sick.
3) STAND UP AND SPEAK TO THE CPUC FEBRUARY 28TH: CA-WIDE ALERT VIA THE GRASSROOTS WIRE
Thursday, February 28, 2013 – 9am California Public Utilities Commission- 505 Van Ness Avenue – Auditorium San Francisco, CA 94102
A decision on Phase 2 (cost/fees and community-wide opt-out) of the SmartMeter opt-out provision is on the horizon. Administrative Law Judge YIp-Kikugawa, who presided over the Dec. 20 Santa Rosa public participation hearing and the four hearings in Southern California, will soon be making her recommendation to the Commission. Full article: https://stopsmartmeters.org/2013/02/18/stand-up-and-speak-to-the-cpuc-february-28th/
4) SMART METER PROTESTERS CONFRONT AL GORE IN SF
5) NAPERVILLE POLICE FORCE SMART METERS ON HOMES- ARREST TWO MOTHERS; COMMUNITY REELS- AND REACTS
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
-Martin Luther King Jr.