Nina Beety- an activist from Monterey County who we profiled in March after she took out a full page ad in the Monterey Herald, has struck again. The ad above appeared in the Bakersfield Californian, the city where the grassroots backlash against the stupid meters first began in 2009. Nina, who is on disability, paid for these ads with her own credit card, and she is going into debt to warn the public about these dangerous meters.
The ad cost her $1000. If you can help her cover these costs, please send a check made out to Nina Beety and send to Stop Smart Meters! PO Box 66165 Scotts Valley CA 95067. It is extraordinary acts like these that are bypassing the mainstream media and spreading the word about our campaign. Go Nina!
Before a packed house, Santa Barbara County Board takes action against "smart" meters as the fight spreads south
As reports of ongoing installations (using unmarked trucks) come in from the City of Santa Cruz, things are really heating up down South. At a major hearing on Tuesday, attended by over 100 Santa Barbara County residents, the county government voted unanimously to demand a no-fee opt out and to investigate legal action and other remedies available to them to stop installations in their county, in response to “heavy protest.” The movement has spread considerably in recent weeks, and a long list of local governments in Southern California now have the ‘smart’ meter issue on their agendas to take action.
After the two utilities that serve Santa Barbara County (PG&E serves the area north of the mountains; SCE serves the area to the south) gave rosy presentations about the meter “upgrade,” the public got their chance to respond. Testimony from about 4 dozen people was 100% against the program.
One older German lady from Solvang broke down in tears, and told the Board that her elderly husband had been “catatonic” since the wireless meter was installed, and that he “spent much of his time outside” to avoid the pulses from the meter. She said he can no longer live in their home and she does not know what she can do.
Following instructions from a concerned CPUC employee, she has covered their walls with several layers of aluminum foil, but this has not significantly improved the situation.
The inhumanity and brutality of the “smart” grid was on display for everyone to see on Tuesday and on several occasions utility executives winced as they heard testimony about the suffering that their system has caused.
After hearing testimony, the supervisors voted to send a letter to the CPUC and investigate what further options they may have.
PG&E Covering Logo on Trucks to Sneak into Backyards as Illegal Installations Begin
Santa Cruz County, Calif.- Two people were arrested Friday afternoon by Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Dept. for peacefully blocking smart meter installation trucks as they attempted to drive out of a yard in the Pleasure Point neighborhood of Santa Cruz County. PG&E has stated that they do not intend to respect laws in Santa Cruz County, Capitola, and Watsonville that prohibit wireless meter installation- laws that were passed to protect the public from identified health and safety risks from the new meters. The two protesters who are affiliated with StopSmartMeters! were charged with misdemeanor obstruction, and released with court date in August.
Contractors Wellington Energy- who PG&E have hired to install “smart” meters throughout the state- have been installing without a valid California contractors license, and faulty installations by the company have been linked with a number of electrical fires from meters that were not fitted properly. Protesters discovered yesterday that the company has apparently bought large white magnets to fit over the logo on their vehicles so they can sneak around neighbourhoods and into backyards without being recognized.
According to Joshua Hart, Director of StopSmartMeters.Org, and one of those arrested yesterday: “When a company like PG&E, who has repeatedly lied about the strength of the radiation pulses from their meters, and the San Bruno explosion that killed 8 people, then hires contractors who aren’t qualified to go out into communities under cover of anonymity to violate local government laws, forcing what even the World Health Organization now classifies as a Class 2B carcinogen on the population, our communities must organize and fight back.”
A month ago, the World Health Organization (WHO) classified wireless, non-ionizing radiation as ‘possibly cancer causing’ based on a broad investigation into the peer-reviewed science, throwing a wrench into unrestrained proliferation of wireless infrastructure, particularly utility installations of ‘smart’ meters throughout the United States. The WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) placed radiation from cell phones into Category 2B- the same category as DDT and engine exhaust.
Evidence of growing health harm has forced the CA Public Utilities Commission to require that PG&E offer an opt out program for those unwilling to have a meter on their home, but critics say this plan falls far short of what is needed, and charges people large fees- simply to protect their health. Opponents of the wireless mesh network continue to insist that entire communities have the right to “opt out” given that the signals from the meters can travel about a mile. “If I opt out and both my neighbors allow smart meters to be installed, I am still being subjected to high levels of forced radiation in my home.” says Heidi Rose, a woman who was arrested yesterday. “That is a violation of my civil rights.”
Protesters initially called police to come and enforce county ordinance 5084, adopted unanimously by the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors in January that prohibits smart meter installations. “We were calling the sheriff to have them come and enforce the law and protect the public. Instead they arrested us, enabling PG&E’s illegal installations to proceed.”
In spite of the Sheriff’s apparent unwillingness to enforce the County’s law, Santa Cruz County Counsel Dana McRae has written a letter to PG&E contractors informing them that the County does intend to enforce the law:
“….the installation of SmartMeters in the unincorporated area of Santa Cruz County will be in violation of the County’s ordinance, and any person found violating the ordinance will be subject to citation by law enforcement personnel.”
Video of the arrest is available at Stopsmartmeters.org and is available for media use as long as the website is acknowledged as the source. The World Health Organization’s press release can be downloaded from http://www.iarc.fr/
A copy of County Counsel’s letter is also available upon request.
USE OF THIS SITE DEPENDS ON AGREEMENT WITH OUR DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to help advance knowledge and contribute to public awareness. While all reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure the validity of the information given, no warranty is given of its accuracy. It is not intended to substitute for medical or legal advice nor as a final statement with regard to possible prevention and avoidance recommendations or potential biological effects. No liability is accepted by the authors for damages arising from its use or misuse and interpretation by others. All references to smart meters refer to digital, wireless and powerline carrier (PLC) devices, which may vary in their emissions and frequencies. All content on this site is copyrighted by StopSmartMeters.org unless otherwise indicated. Brief (max 3 sentences) excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to StopSmartMeters.org with appropriate and specific links to the original content. All other uses are prohibited, unless specific and written permission from StopSmartMeters.org is provided.